Monday, July 21, 2014

Rocket Age Baby

Rocket Age Fat Quarter Bundle in BlueI started a new quilt this week. This time I want to use up a collection of charm packets that I picked up, called Rocket Age by Riley Blake.  This fabric has a vintage 50's look to it and is perfect for boys which is good because I have a colleague having a baby boy in a few weeks.

I am making a simple pattern, sewing the squares into a nine patch, cutting it on the diagonal inserting a solid strip, sewing it together and then cutting it on the other diagonal. You get an nice graphic line running through the quilt and makes quite a visual statement.

As the baby's name is Rowan Reginald Bennett, RRB I will be making those initials in solid and putting them on the back of the quilt.

I'm not sure on the quilting yet, whether I will do it myself or take it to the long armer. Some of it will depend on the time available. The quilt top will lend itself to either simple line quilting or something more intricate and swirly.

No comments: