Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Happy Almost New Year

What a year I had. It is hard to believe that it is coming down to the close and the final grains of sand are pouring out of the hourglass and we start all over again. I like the sound of that - starting over again. I know that can be a challenge but it also is a blessing too, being able to start with a clean slate, a blank canvas and create what your life will be this year. 

I had a great year in 2014. Yes there were some things that truly sucked and were painful at the time, but the grace of God is balm to the soul and the ego and I survived. Never give up no matter how many no's you get, how many doors keep getting slammed in your face, right?! That was the attitude I took even more strongly than I ever have in the past and it was the right thing to do. The greatest lesson was listening to that little voice of the Divine, my personal cheerleader urging me on. And that is exactly what I did.  

Even though not all went to plan, I also had some great things happen - just like most days, weeks, months and years. It’s life. Challenges make me better if I embrace them, even if I have to kick and scream along the way, well, figuratively, not literally! Okay, maybe a few tears, stomps and air-punches.

One of the things I am the most proud of is entering the Ironman. While I did not complete the 50 km course, I did go 34 km until I timed out. While many compete against others my challenge was to compete against myself and use the activity as a spiritual discipline. Kind of like my version of the ancient idea of pilgrimage. It was awesome, painful, hopeful, funny and a whole host of other emotions. I had wonderful team mates who encouraged and yelled at me and rescued me, and I gave others some wonderful tall tales to tell about that crazy Padre from 2 Service Battalion. I hope to do it again this year and cross the finish line, even it if takes me 12 hours to do so. 

Another high is being the person at the right place at the right time. What do I mean by this? From the months of August - Nov I was supporting people who were suicidal. One after another. It felt like it would never end. You would just get one person over a crisis and there would be yet another knock at the door.  But we got through, all of us. Thank God for the blessings of life and meeting us in our lows. 

I got a lot of quilting done despite deploying for a few months and moving from one barracks room to another. I have a sampling of many of those quilts in a mosaic below for you to look at.

Quilty finishes for 2014. All except for 6 quilts whose photos I could not find.
At the end of the year, I like to reflect on something that Arianna Huffington so eloquently says: “Live for your eulogy, not your resume.” I think that this is a great way to step in to the new year that is so full of possibilities yet dreamed of.  I'm pretty excited for the New Year.!
 I’d like to leave you today with the words of one of my favorite poets, Rainer Maria Rilke:

“And now we welcome the new year, full of things that have never been.”


Love and blessings to all, 

Lara

No comments: